Dieter Rams is a German industrial designer commonly associated with sustainable development and functionalism.
His 10 principles of good design are expanded upon on the Vitsoe site.
1. Good design is innovative.
2. Good design makes a product useful.
3. Good design is aesthetic.
4. Good design makes a product understandable.
5. Good design is unobtrusive.
6. Good design is honest.
7. Good design is long-lasting.
8. Good design is thorough down to the last detail.
9. Good design is environmentally friendly.
10. Good design is as little design as possible.
In 2009, The Design Museum hosted a show on Rams’ work. Info for this exhibition is still available on the Museum’s website: ‘Less and more – the design ethos of Dieter Rams’.
It includes a video of a discussion between Rams and Deyan Sudjic from Vitsœ. Filmed at Vitsœ, in London in September 2008. “Less but better”
ESI.info has shortlists of products aimed at the professional specifier. Search, filter and compare products side-by-side.